is there sugar in those really sweet toothpastes made for children? our young son seems to like the taste of those fruity kids toothpastes far more than ones that taste like mint, but i'm worried that they are not as good for the teeth as "real" toothpast

4 doctor answers
Dr. Lee Patalowski
Specializes in Dentistry
I : I can't imaginge that there would be sugar in kids toothpastes but i did check a few that we have on hand. It appears that it is an artifical flavor. I will continue to check with a few other brands because i quess you never know.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
It : It would be impossible for me to answer that question as stated. You merely need to look at the ingredients on the package to see whether or not there is sugar as one of the ingredients. There might be sweet tasting sugar substitutes that are used instead of sugar. If the taste of the toothpaste encourages your son to brush his teeth, then that is a good thing. However, regardless of what is in the toothpaste, make sure that he is not brushing his teeth too often or for too long a period. Also, i would suggest that you brinig this to your dentist's attention so he or she could evaluate your son's dental health.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Neil McLeod
48 years experience Prosthodontics
THERE : There is no sugar in toothpaste there are other chemicals that taste sweet and may be more harmful that sugar. But no there is nothing nutritious in toothpaste. Whether or not there was sugar in toothpaste should not deter you from using it. Here is what is in toothpaste: abrasive: calcium phosphates, alumina, calcium carbonate, and silica (enamel damage) sudser: detergent (sodium lauryl sulfate) humectant: glycerin, sorbitol, water, xylitol thickeners: carrageenan, Cellulose gum, xanthan gum flavoring: indicator hides the taste of soap colorant: titanium dioxide (white) artificial red green blue stabilizer: stops ingredients interacting preservative: bacteriostatic sodium benzoate, methyl paraben, and ethyl paraben. Sweetener: saccharine medicament: Fluoride sodium monofluorophospahte: and other rx, whitener calcium peroxide, tarter control tetrasodium pyrophosphate tooth paste is a cosmetic. It is not necessary to clean your teeth, but it sure helps dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Dr. Mike Deldar
23 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Watch for ADA sign: Make sure the tooth past has ada ( american dental association)seal of approval.
Answered on Aug 11, 2013