Is it possible to have a sleep study diagnose you with narcolepsy and a third sleep study contradict the diagnosis? i have had three sleep studies and the third sleep study says that i no longer have narcolepsy.

Hello. : Hello. A sleep study will pick up whatever occurs during the time of the study. Let's say a person is a sleep walker. If they don't have an episode during the polysomnogram, then the diagnosis can not be made off that particular study. However, if the person sleep walks during another study, the diagnosis could then be made. Sometimes, a sleep study will no longer show a condition because it has resolved. For example, an obese individual is shown to have sleep apnea on a sleep study. The person loses weight and on a subsequent study, the sleep apnea is shown to have resolved. I would discuss this with the sleep specialist so that the results can be explained in the context of your current health status. Take care.
Dr. Christopher Wilson
Sleep Medicine 22 years experience
Doubtful: If you've had a normal overnight polysomnogram followed by a daytime multiple sleep latency test meeting criteria for narcolepsy you've got it. Why you'd have another mslt is beyond me.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016