Normal or need ob-gyn trip? my daughter started her period when she was 12, she is now 14. when she first started, to my surprise she was very regular within a day or so. however, probably the last 6-8 months, we have a pool so i started noticing in the s

A doctor has provided 1 answer
Dr. Laura McMullen answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Many women will have irregular periods during the first 2-3 years after they first start their menses. This is considered completely normal since it can take a few years for ovulation to achieve a regular monthly schedule. However, an irregular cycle can be frustrating - especially in the summer! it is up to the two of you whether she wants to seek care. She can either wait knowing that her menses will become more regular in the next year, or she can see an ob/gyn who may suggest starting hormone supplements (such as birth control pills) to achieve a regular cycle and have more control over when she has a period. Good luck!

Answered Oct 3, 2016

5.3k views