U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old female asked:

I recently had a (not far along) miscarriage, now my period is on day 11... should i go to the ob/gyn?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Douglas Lawson
Obstetrics and Gynecology 29 years experience
Retained products: Once you completely miscarry your pregnancy tissue the bleeding and cramping subside fairly quickly. My main concern would be that you have retained pregnancy tissue. So, call your OB/GYN and see if you need a follow up ultrasound. Rarely post miscarriage bleeding can be due to a molar pregnancy, so making sure the hcg level goes to negative is vital as well.Also, not all bleeding is a period.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Douglas Lawson
Obstetrics and Gynecology 29 years experience
Provided original answer
Its nice to know someone is taking your advice.
Aug 1, 2014
Last updated Aug 1, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.