Mission, TX

Is it normal for my 13 yr old daughter to have irregular pds.she was expecting pd on day 8 but still hasn't had a pd. is she to young to visit ob/gyn?

Dr. Jane Van Dis
Yes: While women are in adolescence, it's normal for them to have irregular periods. The communication between the pituitary and the ovaries is still maturing and sometimes cycles are regular until later in adolescence. Extremes of weight (obesity and excess thinness) can cause irregularities of menstrual cycles. Definitely she can visit gyn or pediatrician to discuss her cycle and possible tests.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Yes: The first cycles in teens are often not associated with ovulation (egg release) which creates part of the signal for a period to happen. Irregular periods are common until ovulation becomes regular.Some women will have irregular cycles for other reasons also. A discussion with your pcp may help you decide the specific needs of your case.