Will i gain weight after a hysterectomy? I know there will be hormone issues after my hysterectomy. Does this mean i will gain weight? How can I prevent weight gain during recovery? .

Dr. Mary Engrav
30 years experience in Emergency Medicine
That : That is a good question. Women have different responses to the hormonal changes after hysterectomy. As always, any exercise program you can start once your doctor clears you will help. Some women can consistently walk a mile every day, some prefer to go to a gym. Find a nutritional program that is right for you. While in the hospital, you could ask for a nutritional consult to get advice. Ask your doctor whether you will need hormone replacement after surgery as this can affect weight gain and loss. Many women do not have weight gain after surgery but it is good that you are planning ahead for your health.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016