would a dr do radiation treatment if pt is pre-cancerous? my sister doesn't like me to worry & has had 2 radiation treatments in the last 2 months for what she says is pre-cancerous cells...would a doctor really do that harsh of a treatment if she is pre

Dr. Brian Lawenda
Radiation Oncology 24 years experience
Radiation : Radiation therapy can be used for both malignant and benign conditions. Occasionally, radiation therapy is employed to treat precancerous lesions that are either highly suspicious for an underlying malignancy or are not able to be treated with a surgical approach. The radiation oncologist would explain the rationale for their decision to use radiation therapy. Most of the time, this decision is made by a multi-disciplinary team of providers (i.e. Surgeon, radiation oncologist, medical oncologist, pathologist, etc.).

Last updated Oct 3, 2016