Hi! i have a problem in speaking in public. hi! i have a problem in speaking in public (anxiety). and my doctor gave me lorazepam. he asked me to take 2-3 before speaking. those 2-3 do not work with me. when i take 5-6, then i can speak with no fear. but

Dr : Dr kardener provided excellent feedback. One other thing you could consider doing is engaging in cognitive behavioral therapist with a psychologist to get control over symptoms without having to turn to controlled substances.
Dr. Sheldon Kardener
Dr. Sheldon Kardeneranswered
Performance : Performance anxiety is not an unusual symptom. Many very famous actors and musicians talk about feeling anxious before their appearances. The issue is the severity of the symptoms you describe. It is amazing to me that you can even stand up with the dose you describe, although you don't give the size of the pills. Shifting to an anti-anxiety agent that you take regularly would be one possible answer, like Lexapro (escitalopram) or zoloft for example. However, if the problem is limited to just the class presentations and does not invade other aspects of your life, then it may be very worthwhile to find a toastmasters group in your area if possible. You can learn to desensitize yourself to giving talks before groups through practice. This is a form of behavior modification therapy, but i believe is free. Depending on your physician's ok, it is also possible that a medication called a beta blocker would be more useful on an incident basis. I would consider the and regular anti-anxiety agents first, and the behavior modification along with the meds. You can do better than being "stoned" as the side effects afterward that you describe so clearly.
Dr. Richard Roberts
Beta-blockers best: "The pianist Vladimir Horowitz found it so disabling that he didn't perform for 12 years". If stage fright--performance anxiety--is severe, cognitive therapy works in the long term. Beta-blockersi like Propranolol are the most effective drugs with no psychoactive effects--1 pill an hour before performance. See http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/can-you-treat-stage-fright/index.htm

Last updated Oct 4, 2016