Should i order oramd, and what can i do in the meantime to alleviate severe gum pain? i am experiencing unbearable gum pain. i am seeing an orthodontist for invisalign, who referred me to an oral hygienist, but my appointment isn't for a couple weeks. i c

8 doctors weighed in across 7 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Your : Your problem does not appear to be routine, but more of an emergency in nature. You cannot use otc meds or wait two weeks if your pain is unbearable. Have your orthodontist refer you to a trusted general dentist who will squeeze you in, as an emergency, asap. There is no need for you to suffer like this.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Neil McLeod answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

You : You need to see a dentist to have your teeth checked immediately. No question! what can you do now. First of all stop thinking you will be able to prevent the problem with pain killers. The strongest over the counter products, and i suggest tylenol (acetaminophen) might give you some relief, but i doubt it. Here is the tough part. I suggest you brush and floss your teeth really well even if it hurts an even if it bleeds, and then rinse out well with a salt water mouth rinse. The instructions are in the link to post surgical care on my website below. Best wishes dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Alan Zweig answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

Do : Do not get any over the counter medication. If you have unbearable pain your dentist should be able to see you today or tomorrow.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Brush your gums: After looking at oramd's website, it is just a natural product toothpaste. It sounds as if your gums are inflamed (gingivitis) and sore. They likely bleed upon contact as well. Brush your gums as well as your teeth. A sore spot in your mouth is begging to have a toothbrush applied. You will see a notable diference by the time you get to the hygienist.

Answered 5/29/2013

5.3k views

Stop wearing aligner: Stop wearing aligners and get to your dentist or your orthodontist whoever can see you first. They may have you a gum specialist.

Answered 4/25/2015

5.1k views

No Invisalign: Do not superimpose tooth movement with aligner therapy until you have addressed the "unbearable" pain. A hygienist will not stop the pain immediately, but surely will help in creating a oral health program that will allow further orthodontic correction, if and only if your periodontal (gum/bone) health is back on track. Otc meds are not the solution.

Answered 5/29/2013

5.1k views

Rx gums first: Are you seeing an orthodontic specialist or a gp who does invisalign (not a specialist)? You must first control infections before considering tooth movement, and a qualified orthodontic specialist would know this. I am curious as to why you were not referred to a periodontist, a gum specialist, to resolve your problem. Having to wait weeks for rx for pain/infection is unconscionable.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.1k views