I think i have a jaw infection ok so i got all 4 of my wisdom teeth out one week ago and i did not take any antibiotics and most of the pain is except for one socket and it has this really bad small like **** and very bad taste and now my jaw is kind of

5 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

From : From your description you have a dry socket. See the dentist/surgeon who extracted the tooth and it can be treated with a wound dressing. Not uncommon for wisdom tooth extraction. The dressing, along with anti-inflammatory meds will alleviate your pain.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. G Funari answered

Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

There : There are many reasons for pain after the extraction of wisdom teeth. The three reasons detailed below are also accompanied by bad breath and bad taste. It is important to note that in this day and age where there are so many drug-resistant bacteria, the routine use of antibiotics with dental extractions is significantly diminishing. Typically, i only prescribe antibiotics for extractions when there is a documented infection prior to the infection, the patient is at high risk for a post-operative infection (uncontrolled diabetic, taking anti-rejection drugs, is immunocompromised, etc.) or they have a prosthetic body part that may be at risk for infection. As a precaution I have all patients that undergo an oral surgical procedure rinse with a special antibiotic rinse that coats the tissues to reduce the amount of bacterial at the time of surgery. This procedure has allowed me to keep the infection rate extremely low. Dry socket is an extremely painful condition (usually "off the pain scale") that is characterized as a sharp stabbing sensation that is unrelenting and typically occurs 72 hours post extraction due to the loss of the blood clot from the extraction site resulting in the exposure of the alveolar bone. Individuals who smoke, are on oral contraceptives, or disturb the extraction site are at a higher risk for developing this condition. There is usually no abnormal swelling accompanying the dry socket other than what would be normally expected. Dry sockets are treated by irrigating out the extraction site and placing a sedative dressing which is changed out every 24 to 48 hours. Healing is significantly delayed and the area may remain tender. Unfortunately many patients will develop post-extraction pain in the same time frame due to accumulation of food debris in the extraction site. This pain is usually a 5 or 6 on a 10 pain scale, can be relieved by Ibuprofen and typically peaks early in the morning upon awakening or late in the afternoon. Is is more of a dull ache and, like dry sockets, may radiate to the ear or forward to the front teeth. Treatment usually involves gentle irrigation of the site to remove food debris and to determine the presence of a blood clot in the extraction site. If too forceful irrigation is use an dry socket may be created. This condition usually resolves in one or two days after the site is irrigated. A third possibility is that you have an infection. This usually occurs several days after the infection (unless you had a significant infection at the time of extraction) and is accompanied by increased swelling, tenderness to touch of the affected area, and increasing limitation in mouth opening. It is difficult to diagnosis your condition without an examination. No matter the cause you need to be reexamined. If you are uncomfortable with your current surgeon you may want to ask him to refer you to another local surgeon outside his practice for a second opinion.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Neil McLeod answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

I : I am sorry you have had this experience. I certainly think you have a dry socket. That means that the blood clot that was supposed to cover the wound into the bone has failed to seal the wound, and the bone inside that was around your tooth has died. The inner bone that remains alive is now involved in a painful inflammatory process of isolating the dead bone and slowly pushing it out of the body. It is a long and painful process that is great relieved by putting a powerful medicament into the socket. I use iodoform paste, and i strongly suggest you go and see your surgeon now and have him help you out in the way. Dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Alan Zweig answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

Have : Have you spoken to your surgeon? I am sure that he will want you to come in. If you have a dry socket you would be in tremendous pain which would get you into the office asap.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Sandra Eleczko answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Post op pain: You may have a dry socket. See the dentist or oral surgeon that extracted your wisdom teeth about this.

Answered 10/29/2015

2.1k views