why would someone who has had lung cancer surgery need a liver biopsy?

Dr. Wesley Marquart
General Surgery 18 years experience
Check for metastasis: Cancer spreads to other organs. If you have a mass in your liver, it needs to checked for metastatic lung cancer or a new tumor.
Dr. Wesley Marquart
General Surgery 18 years experience
Check for metastasis: If your liver has a mass, a biopsy will tell what it is.
Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
Radiology 34 years experience
Tumor spread: Cancers can spread to different areas in the body. It is not uncommon for lung cancer to spread beyond the lung to other areas such as the liver and bone. If you have a known lung cancer and an abnormality in the liver it may be spread of the lung cancer. Certain tests like an MRI may be helpful to see if it is an often seen benign lesion (hemangioma). If it can't you may need a biopsy.