Will a mini tummy tuck restore my belly after pregnancy? my belly is a droopy, stretched-out mess after having my son. will a mini tummy tuck restore it to its former glory?

12 doctors weighed in across 7 answers
Dr. Scott Engel answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

A : A mini tummy tuck can certainly improved your stretched out skin after pregnancy. However, there are limits to the effect of anything mini...While you will have a smaller scar from a mini tummy tuck, versus a standard tummy tuck, you will only see an improvement in the excess tissue below the belly button. If most of your excess skin is below the belly button, then you should see great results. However, most women have excess skin and laxity above and below the belly button which would requre a standard tummy tuck. In addition, the belly muscles often get stretched out during pregnancy and do not return to their former state. This gives the belly a "pooched out" appearance. These muscle can be tightened...But again only below the belly button in a mini. However, they can be tightened above and below during a full tummy tuck. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and give you the best options. Good luck. Feel free to visit my website at www.Sarasotaplasticsurgery.Com.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Robert Brueck answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

It : It all depends on where the laxity is and how far up your abdomen the loose tissue extends.If the excess tissue is well above your navel then you have to undermine all the way up north to get it to come down and smooth out.So how much and how up the excess occurs determines this.www.beautyby brueck.Com.

Answered 7/24/2018

5.5k views

Dr. Azita Madjidi answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

Full tummy tuck: Generally you have excess skin and stretch in your muscle fascia after pregnancy. A full tummy tuck will remove the excess skin, tighten your muscles and reposition your belly botton. A mini tummy tuck will just remove little skin in the lower abdomen and is not a good option for most post pregnancy problems.

Answered 7/4/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Tom Pousti answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Probably Not.: Most patients who have had pregnancy and/or significant weight gain/loss to not do well with mini tummy tuck surgery. In my opinion, it is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. With help, climbing stairs ok.

Answered 7/4/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Christopher Khorsandi answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

It depends: Without seeing your photographs, it is difficult to tell. What one person thinks is a stretched out mess another person may think is not all that bad. Many tummy tucks (witch hazel) generally address the area below the belly button and have limited effect however, if there is significant overhanging skin and stretch marks a full tummy tuck can restore a youthful look to your abdomen.

Answered 11/24/2014

5.2k views

Dr. Thomas Fiala answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

If your tummy: Is really a "stretched out mess" - then a mini tummy tuck probably won't be powerful enough to repair it, and you'll need a regular or extended tummy tuck and full muscle repair, in order to get a good result. See your local board-certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Answered 7/15/2013

5k views

Dr. Otto Placik answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

May not be enough : If the stomach laxity is that severe, a mini tummy tuck may not be sufficient to achieve optimal improvements. Any tummy tuck will control some degree of loose skin and muscle repair but it cannot always restore the pre pregnancy appearance and it is very important to have realistic expectations after discussing your options with a board certified plastic surgeon, .

Answered 12/7/2013

4.7k views