Should anew prescription be given to you before cataract surgery? i am having cataract surgery;the optemetrist has examantion my eyes stated i need them removed then he gives me a prescription before surgery. my vision will change, am i correct,

Dr. Alden Leifer
Ophthalmology 40 years experience
You : You are absolutely correct. Perhaps he gave you the prescription in case you changed your mind and decided not to have the cataract surgery at this time. If you do proceed with the surgery it is almost guaranteed that your eyeglasses will need changing.
Dr. Cary Silverman
Ophthalmology 39 years experience
You : You are correct. Cataract surgery replaces your cloudy lens with an artificial one. It will change the refractive state of your eyes. Any glasses you wear before cataract surgery will be obsolete after it. If you opt for refractive cataract surgery, and have one of the more advanced premium ioss implanted, it is even possible that you will not need glasses at all following cataract surgery!
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
If : If your eyes can be helped with new glasses, before surgery, then you may not need surgery in the first place. The prescription will almost certainly change due to the use of implants during surgery, so we usually wait until you are healed up from surgery to prescribe new glasses.This usually occurs about a month after surgery.
Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology 41 years experience
I : I believe that it would be a waste of money to buy new glasses shortly before cataract surgery. The glasses, if any, will be markedly different after surgery. If you choose refractive cataract surgery, you may never need glasses again. I would look for a new optometrist. Someone more interested in helping you and not just making you spend money unnecessarily.
Dr. Andrew Dahl
Ophthalmology 55 years experience
The : The eye that is to be operated on should not have a new glass prescription filled. However, the vision in the other eye could potentially benefit with a change in glasses.
Dr. Jay Bradley
Cornea, Cataract, & Refractive (LASIK & PRK) Surgery 18 years experience
No: A new prescription should not be given if you are planning to undergo cataract surgery. The prescription will change after surgery.
Dr. William Dieck
Ophthalmology 38 years experience
Don't fill new Rx: Your prescription will most likely change after cataract surgery. Wait until after to obtain a new prescription.

Last updated Dec 5, 2019