Questioning recently recommended dental treatment. i recently went for a dental exam/x-rays as a new patient to a dental office on my dental hmo plan. i am a 55 yr old female smoker. i was presented with a treatment plan that would cost me approx. $3, 000

12 doctors weighed in across 10 answers
Dr. Alfred Weinstock answered

Specializes in Periodontics

1. : 1. You can definitely have full mouth perio deep cleaning (it should be root planing together with local anesthetic, rather than just polishing your teeth) without any type of irrigation or laser treatment, both of which are unnecessary as long as you follow up with daily tooth brushing and dental flossing. If you have periodontal pockets that don't resolve with the above then seek out the care of a periodontist specialist. 2. Yes, unless there is severe bone loss as a result of an infection around the tooth that was removed, and especially if you would like to have a dental implant placed at some future time. 3. Unless the dentist is very skilled with cerec, it would be better to get a procelain fused to metal crown made by a good laboratory that fits perfectly to your tooth.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Vijaykumar Patel answered

Specializes in Dentistry

1]You : 1]you do not need the irrigation, laser is only necessary if your gingival inflammation does not get better after root planning and scaling. 2.Of course you can get your molar extracted without a bone graft.There are advantages of the grafting procedure if you are going to have an implant later for socket and ridge preservation. 3]a porcelain fused to metal crown is just as good as an all porcelain crown. You need to call your hmo.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Sander White answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Only : Only you can decide whether the dentist you consulted with is making good sense and is a trustworthy person. If you have judged this person worthy of your trusting your health to then follow the recommendations. Achieving health is not about let;s make a deal with the insurance company and the dentist, it is about getting the right care for the right reasons at the right time. So budget you money and your time to work with good practitioners. I you do not have faith in the integrity of your doctor, find one who you can trust quickly and do not allow dollars or insurance to influence that decision. Integrity comes first.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Yelena Stern answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

I : I certainly understand your position and hope that i can help you maximize your insurance benefits while still making sure you recieve the necessary treatment for your condition. I would recommend getting the four quads of scaling and root planning, following up with daily flossing at home and then visit your dentist again in three months for re-evaltuion to see how you are doing. You can certainly have your molar teeth extracted without having the bone graft done as long as you do not plan on getting implants in the future. That is more of a personal decision, rather than one a doctor can make for you. Lastly, porcelain fused to metal crowns are used every day. The only thing i would recommend is to make sure that the type of metal the porcelain is fused to is a high-noble metal that is biocompatable, as opposed to something like nickel, which is not good for you to have in your mouth. Often, insurance may not cover the high-noble metal and will downgrade to a lower grade metal, however, the out of pocket expense should still be much less than the $1, 150 for the cerec-blue blck post crown your dentist is recommending.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Alan Zweig answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

I : I think the fact that you do not trust the recommendation of this doctor is very important. You need to feel comfortable with the doctor to whom you entrust your care. I agree with the prior responses that seem to indicate that your treatment plan may be excessive. I disagree that a porcelain fused to metal crown is better than a cerec blue block. In the right dentist's hands, a cerec blue block can offer the same strength and longevity as other types of crowns. Now if it is being recommended to you because it will cost you more money, then....I wonder.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Jean Edderai answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

The : The basic question is if you are comfortable with your type of insurance(remember an insurance is not a dental plan) . You will feel more comfortable going to a dentist that your insurance will not be dictating .Choosing a dentist should be a decision you make based upon the credentials that will not cause you seeking a 2 nd.Opinion. Quality dentistry cannot be compromised with economics. We live in a capitalist country all avenues are open. Socialized dentistry(hmo) cannot offer the latest advances and techniques available. Cerec crowns are the best restorations, it used to be gold crowns . Good luck on you selections.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Stephen Gordon answered

Specializes in

Dental HMO fees are.: Usually about 40 - 50% less than routine dental fees, thus making your treatment plan (using real world fees) $6000. W/o knowing the severity of your condition, prior dental trtmt, quality of your home care, frequency of your teeth cleaning appts, family history, diet, medical condition it would be impossible to determine if your treatment plan is correct. & 55 & smoker can be greater problems.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Second opinion?: Simply put, managed-care dental insurance (hmo) involves the situation where some type of technique has been implemented that is thought to help to control or reduce the cost of providing services to the plan's members. In my opinion, the main focus is often on saving money and not providing the best service available. We can't know what is the best treatment for you with this type of forum.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Alex Shvartsman answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Get another opinion: Get a second opinion. It it differs significantly. Het a third. Keep in mind that fees are determined by overhead. Better facility, better equipment, better materials, betted education can result in higher fees. Be weary of the "cheapest" treatment. You may get what you pay for.

Answered 1/25/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Gregory LaMorte answered

Specializes in Periodontics

A second opinion: The only way to feel comfortable is if you get a second opinion on recommended treatment.

Answered 6/12/2013

5.1k views