U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 49-year-old male asked:

I have a suspected chalazion in my lower right eye lid. there is no pain, but is noticeable. i also have slight swelling in the lower lid. current treatment has been similasan stye eye relief (homepathic) and an allergy eyedrop. i have allergies. a few we

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ron Pelton
Facial Plastic Surgery 38 years experience
Patients : Patients often get put on antibiotics for a chalazion and this is rarely needed because this is not an infection. It is an inflammation and topical anti-inflammatories are helpful. I often use ophthlmic steroids for this condition. Unfortunately, these sometimes progress to the point that they need to be surgically drained in the office.
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology 32 years experience
Often, : Often, a series of hot compresses during the day will work, with shorter duration for each compress. Many of my patients have success with 3 or 4 compresses, 5-10 minutes each session. The potato works well, some patients have mentioned that they have used a hard-boiled egg the same way. This holds heat longer than using a washcloth alone. If this does not work within a week or so, then eye drops, or surgical removal will be successful. See your eye doctor if compresses fail!
Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kimanswered
Ophthalmology 23 years experience
The : The best treatment for chalazion is application of warm compress. This allows the blood vessels to dilate in that area bringing more agents to "clean up" the chalazion. Now, to properly perform warm compress is not easy. Longer you apply the warm compress, faster it will resolve. I recommend one hour per day. This will result in resolution in 2-4 weeks. This is how i recommendation you perform warm compress. Take a clean potato with skin on it, then microwave it for 4 minutes. Take a small wash cloth or towel and wet it with warm or hot water. Squeeze out the water then wrap the hot potato with it. Apply this to the eye lid until it cools down (approximately 15minutes). Ideally, you should be sitting down as when you are watching tv. When it cools down, you should repeat heating it in the microwave until you have achieved at least one hour of application.
Last updated Mar 29, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.