I have a suspected chalazion in my lower right eye lid. there is no pain, but is noticeable. i also have slight swelling in the lower lid. current treatment has been similasan stye eye relief (homepathic) and an allergy eyedrop. i have allergies. a few we

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Ron Pelton answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Patients : Patients often get put on antibiotics for a chalazion and this is rarely needed because this is not an infection. It is an inflammation and topical anti-inflammatories are helpful. I often use ophthlmic steroids for this condition. Unfortunately, these sometimes progress to the point that they need to be surgically drained in the office.

Answered 12/28/2016

5.3k views

Dr. William Goldstein answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Often, : Often, a series of hot compresses during the day will work, with shorter duration for each compress. Many of my patients have success with 3 or 4 compresses, 5-10 minutes each session. The potato works well, some patients have mentioned that they have used a hard-boiled egg the same way. This holds heat longer than using a washcloth alone. If this does not work within a week or so, then eye drops, or surgical removal will be successful. See your eye doctor if compresses fail!

Answered 3/29/2021

5.5k views

Dr. John Kim answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

The : The best treatment for chalazion is application of warm compress. This allows the blood vessels to dilate in that area bringing more agents to "clean up" the chalazion. Now, to properly perform warm compress is not easy. Longer you apply the warm compress, faster it will resolve. I recommend one hour per day. This will result in resolution in 2-4 weeks. This is how i recommendation you perform warm compress. Take a clean potato with skin on it, then microwave it for 4 minutes. Take a small wash cloth or towel and wet it with warm or hot water. Squeeze out the water then wrap the hot potato with it. Apply this to the eye lid until it cools down (approximately 15minutes). Ideally, you should be sitting down as when you are watching tv. When it cools down, you should repeat heating it in the microwave until you have achieved at least one hour of application.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views