burning sensation through upper chest, pain in armpits and shoulders for the last couple of days i have had a feeling of heaviness in the left side of my chest along with shortness of breath. i seen my doctor about this and he believes that it was caused

2 doctor answers
Dr. Steven Guyton
46 years experience Thoracic Surgery
The : The symptoms you describe are typical of a heart attack or inflammation around the heart (pericarditis) - they can also be caused by anxiety and hyperventilation. So yes, it could be serious. Key items for revealing if there is a heart problem would be an electrocardiogram (ekg) and blood tests, perhaps an echocardiogram (looking at the heart and pericardium with sound waves). If your doctor has done the tests described, check with him again to see what else could be causing the problem. If not, it could be best to seek another opinion.
Answered on Apr 29, 2018
1
Dr.
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Chest pain: Chest pain can be a symptom of heart disease but may be may other things such as esophageal spasms, respiratory disorders (asthma, COPD, bronchitis, infections), and muscle problems to name a few. It really depends on the clinical situation and other symptoms you may be having.
Answered on Apr 29, 2018