How likely am i to be diagnosed with ms? i originally went to the doctor for numbness and tingling in my hand and foot and have gotten severe pain in my opposite arm and hip on two occasions. one white spot was found on my brain mri, minor degenerative c

Dr. Donald McCarren
Neurology 37 years experience
I : I applaud your desire to have information before you arrive to the appointment. A few questions would be helpful. Did you ever have symptoms in the past? Any involvement of your eyes? Was the positive CSF oligoclonal bands or elevated igg index? The information you presented best fits with a monsymptomatic presentation as defined by the mcdonald's criteria which was designed to define those individuals who are likely to develop ms. To secure the diagnosis you would need another clinical event or a change in your MRI after 3 months. They will probably want further testing including veps (visual evoked potentials) or oct (optical coherence tomography). The lab evaluation will include an ana, b12, folate, esr, vitamin d panel and routine labs. They may also want a MRI of the thoracic spine if the exam suggests spinal cord involvement. Good luck and well wishes.
Dr. David Dang
Radiology 15 years experience
Hard to say: One white spot on brain MRI is nonspecific. If it is in a particular area (corpus callosum) it would be more concerning, otherwise it could have been from prior brain infection (encephalitis) or trauma (shearing injury). Your symptoms are a bit more worrisome. Perhaps a spinal fluid analysis will help. Neurology consult would be useful.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 49 years experience
You are correct. "White" spots have many causes. Sjogren's Syndrome is a major cause for so called "MS" lesions, as are other diseases!
May 24, 2014
Neurology 53 years experience
See neurologist: Your history is too nonspecific to confirm MS, but one white matter lesion may be a clue. Repeat MRI in 6 months if your problems continue, new lesions, especially Gadolinium positive, could confirm MS. If you lack confidence in current physician, get a second opinion.

Last updated Jun 30, 2021