How does a counselor know how to treat a teenager without talking to the mother? is it common for a counselor not to discuss anything with the parents when a 14 year old is in counseling? the 14 has not seen her father since she was 2 years old. the court

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Hello : Hello writer from bothell, wa, from the emails you have sent in recently, it is clear that you don't agree with how the court system is handling your family's situation. It isn't clear from your submissions if the counselor is authorized to discuss your daughter's case with you. As a therapist i try to look at the dynamics of the family to get an idea of what approach is best for the patient. With some cases, i also have to take into account legal directives from a judge. If you believe that there are some very pertinent pieces of information that the therapist is not aware of, you can ask your legal counsel about what vehicle can be used to transmit that information.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Stephen Christensen answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

I'm : I'm sorry your family is confronted by these difficult problems. As you know, each of you sees things from a unique perspective. It's quite possible your daughter has issues that she hasn't previously voiced to you or her father, and these issues could be surfacing in unexpected ways, such as poor school performance. (it's unlikely that any child sails unscathed through the breakup of his or her family.) while it's often useful for a counselor to seek input from family members regarding a client's background, everyone (including you) has a personal agenda. I sense you're still in competition with your ex for your daughter's attention, and this could color your judgement. Your daughter's relationship with her counselor may offer her a refuge from the pressure she feels from you and her father, and her counseling sessions may be the only place she feels comfortable unloading some of her own "baggage." be patient. The counselor will let you in when it's best for your daughter.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views