is it possible that a piece of tooth could get left behind during a wisdom tooth extraction? i had my wisdom teeth out in october. it's now january and i think i have a little piece of tooth that's working out of my gum on the bottom. it's sharp and a lit

24 years experience Psychiatry
Yes, : Yes, some times a small piece of the tooth can break off when a wisdom tooth is being extracted. In some cases, the wisdom tooth may need to be broken before if can be removed. If something feels jagged and sore, it is worth seeing your dentist back, so that he can examine you.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
3
3 comments
Dr. David Schleimer
37 years experience Orthodontics
Many wisdom teeth (especially lower ones) are intentionally cut into 2 or more pieces rather than "broken". This is done so that minimal amounts of bone is removed, rather than expanding the hole or aperture the surgeon uses to visualize and remove the tooth.
Jan 13, 2013
24 years experience Psychiatry
Provided original answer
Great point - thanks Dr. Schleimer.
Jan 13, 2013
Dr. David Schleimer
37 years experience Orthodontics
Thanks Dr. Fowler
Feb 11, 2013