U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

What is wrong with my finger? i fell on my pinky finger and heard a cracking sound. it hurts to touch and move and after a couple of days it started to get swollen, and bruise. but i still have complete mobility in my finger. what is wrong with my finger?

2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Family Medicine 45 years experience
You : You situation is consistent with a possible chip fracture of your finger. See your doctor. You might need an xray. Best wishes.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 36 years experience
There : There can be a sprain of a ligament, a small avulsion fracture, a fracture of the joint, a fracture in the bone in the long or oblique axis, a partial tendon avulsion, a ligament rupture. Whatmay pass for "complete" mobility may seem to be ok but a discerning exam might reveal that there is in fact limitation of motion caused but the swelling. Intraarticular swelling can impede motion or lead to subtle loss of full extension or flexion. Of course finger swelling following trauma may just be a bad bruise if the pain continues it would be worthwhile getting an x-ray as knowledge of the injury whether it is a factor or not may be a guide to return to activity with or without care. If there is a negative x-ray and pain persists it may be worthwhile to see a hand surgeon. Still be aware that a contusion or bas bruise to the finiger especially if it affect the pip joint or proximal interphalangeal joint ( in the middle of the finger) can had symptoms that linger for....Months after an injury.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 24, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.