I fell & hurt my pinky finger, its swollen & bruised. i can move my finger. the bruise seems to be travelling down my hand. do you think it's broken?

Dr. Richard Perlman
Orthopedic Surgery 58 years experience
May be broken: Being able to move it doesn't mean it is not broken. The spreading of the bruise is natural. However, the bruise itself may be an indication that there is a break. Your doctor may be able to send you to an x-ray facility or may have an x-ray machine in his office. X-ray is the only way to be sure. Of course, if there is a change in the angle of the finger or in its rotation, then it is broken.
Dr. Jerry Huang
Hand Surgery 20 years experience
Yes: If you had a recent injury to the finger and it is swollen and bruised, you either broke the finger and had a severe sprain to the joint. It is important to see a physician for evaluation as well as x-rays of the finger to rule out a fracture.

Last updated Sep 28, 2016