what is wrong with my sore throat? when can i feel better? i have a painful sore throat. it has lasted 9 days now. i went to the doctor, and she said that my blood test shows it has a lot of qualities of mono, but is not mono, and it is showing a raise

Dr. Laura McMullen
Sore : Sore throat is a fairly common symptom associated with many illnesses. Most of the time it resolves on its own without any other issues. Occasionally it can be due to something more serious that needs treatment. Without examining you myself and sending tests, i cannot tell you what you have. Reasons to seek care again are: - any fever - since it could be strep and you can't tell without an exam/testing - were you tested for strep? - if it lasts longer than 3 or 4 days - any difficulty opening your mouth - unable to swallow - severe pain - bleeding in the throat - redness or swelling on the outside of the neck - any difficulty breathing or noisy breathing 9 days is a long time to have a sore throat and sometimes as the illness goes along, clues as to what is causing your pain can become more apparent. Give your doctor another call or consider seeing an ear, nose and throat specialist. In the meantime, taking Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for pain, drinking plenty of fluids such as hot tea/broth or cold liquids and a spoonful of honey can help.
Dr. Oscar Novick
Prolonged sore throa: With a nine day history of a sore throat you could possibly have a retro pharyngeal abscess. You should be seen by an ENT physician. He may want to order x-rays of your upper airway.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016