What should i do about my foot/toe knuckle? i have discoloration and a little swelling on the knuckle of my foot under my big toe. there isnt a lot of pain when i touch it, but i am very active so while i am wearing shoes and running around or even walki

Dr. Joy Jackson
You : You may be dealing with a bunion or even gout. It is very difficult to say without actually seeing the lesion in question. It would be wise to visit your primary care provider or a podiatrist (foot doctor) for evaluation and treatment. In the meantime wear shoes that are big enough, and take an advil (ibuprofen) or Ibuprofen prior to walking long distances or prior to running. Best of luck.
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry 14 years experience
Rest and ice: You may have other pathology underneath your 1st great toe joint such as sesamoiditis, bursitis, etc. Try resting and stop activities for 1-2 weeks with icing and antiinflammatory medications. If pain continues or returns, see a specialist, you may need xrays with an evaluation. Hope this helps, if you need a referral in your area, i know some good doctors. Best of luck.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016