Food in lungs? i had a hard time swallowing a piece of steak. i couldn't breath for a short time, but then got the steak down. it hurt going down, and my chest (sternum area) continues to hurt. is it possible that this meat went into my lungs? i was ab

Dr. Joseph Jeu
No : No I do not think that you inhaled that piece of steak into your lungs. You would have smothered and probably died. More likely the piece of steak ws swallowed and went into your stomach. The chest pain is referred pain from your esophagus which you irritated trying to swallow the piece of meat. Things will be ok with a little time. If you develope more difficulty swallowing please see your physician, as it may be a sign of an esophageal stricture.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Allergy and Immunology 18 years experience
No: If you have swallowing issues then the most likely is that the food would be stuck in the esophagus causing the chest pain. If still present then you need to be seen and evaluated.

Last updated Apr 6, 2018