Discomfort in my saphenous vein area about 4 inches above my knee to my mid-calf. as of 2 weeks ago i have been experiencing discomfort in my left leg; it's medial to my knee going halfway down my calf ... it sort of follows the path of the saphenous vein

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. James McClurg answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

The : The possibility of DVT is low but it should never be discarted. The description sounds like a saphenous nerve distribution or possible an L4 radiculopathy. You are a young individual and absent injury or trauma I have a hard time giving you any concrete answer. These symptoms may improve spontaneously. If symptoms worsen or persists for another month or two seek care for this condition.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.4k views

Dr. John Landi answered

Specializes in Phlebology

Need full evaluation: The saphenous vein should not cause any symptoms unless it is clotted (superficial phlebitis). If this was the case, it would be hard and tender. Your symptoms appear to be due to something else and could be orthopedic or neurologic. You should see a vein specialist for a full venous evaluation to rule out a clot, and then follow up with the appropriate physician if necessary.

Answered 12/9/2013

5k views