A male asked:

would medication for alcohol and amphetamine addiction complicate a mini tummy tuck procedure? i'm struggling to overcome alcohol and amphetamine addiction with specialized therapy and counseling. the medications that help me with the withdrawal are cloni

5 doctor answers
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
It : It is important to understand that prior to having any cosmetic surgery, it is crucial that the patient is observing a healthy lifestyle and understands how the procedure may affect their lives. Drug addiction is a serious condition that one must overcome prior to being a good canditate for elective tummy tuck. This is also true because the recovery period will entail pain and swelling that may require management with pain medications containing narcotics. Clonodine and valium are sedatives that can increase a patient's tolerance to pain medication and anesthesia. The combination of these medication can have fatal results. It is too risky to perform a tummy tuck procedure on a patient who is still recovering from drug and alcohol addiction.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Gary Tuma answered
24 years experience Plastic Surgery
Medications: You certainly need to let your surgeon know that you are dealing with these issues and also let them know which medications you are currently taking. You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to go over your options.
Answered on Mar 26, 2013
Dr. Azita Madjidi
29 years experience Plastic Surgery
Yes: Become clean first for a long time before even thinking about getting anything done.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Dr. John Di Saia
30 years experience Plastic Surgery
It might....: I would wait until after you have the substance problem well in hand before having any large scale cosmetic surgery.
Answered on Jan 25, 2014
1
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Not a Good Idea: You should not undergo tummy tuck surgery or any other type of elective surgery while in the recovery phase of addictions. Patients should be medically, psychosocially, financially stable prior to proceeding with any type of elective surgery. Best wishes.
Answered on Apr 25, 2016
1