Have a concern re: two recent incidents involving nose bleeds. was cleaning my left side when blood came gushing out rapidly... rather than the usual slow drip. have not had any head trauma or injury. i do have lots of stress taking care of my aging fa

Dr. Laura McMullen
Epistaxis : Epistaxis or bloody noses can be caused by a variety of things and it is worth having it looked into by and ear, nose and throat doctor (otolaryngologist). They can place a scope (small camera) into your nose and see why you are having the nose bleeds. They may even be able to stop them from happening which i'm sure would be a relief to you! in the meantime, here are a few nose bleed tips. If your nose starts to bleed, pinch the soft part of your nose below the bridge (not the bridge) to stop the bleeding. Now keep pinching for 5 minutes. Set a timer or look at a watch because it will feel like forever. And no peeking! that will stop 95% of all nosebleeds. Good luck! legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Dr. Bahman Omrani
Pain Management 17 years experience
Epistaxis. : Stress is unlikely to be the reason for this nose bleed; it may prolong the nose bleed if associated with long standing high blood pressure, but does not cause it on its own. Most common cause is nose picking. Many local and systemic conditions can cause nose bleed. If it persists, see your fp or ent.

Last updated Oct 9, 2016