both my children have red bumps on their upper body's front and back and they itch. it has been there for 2 weeks what is it? i have tried benadryl (diphenhydramine) and changing washing detergant, but it's not getting better

2 doctor answers
Dr. Laura McMullen
20 years experience Pediatrics
A : A rash with raised red bumps is called a maculopapular rash and can be caused by many, many things such as: -food or drug allergy -viral infections such as fifths disease, roseola, ebv, CMV just to name a few -insect bites such as fleas or scabies -bacterial infection such as scarlet fever (caused by strep) -medication reaction or it can be seen in very rare things such as: -measles -toxic shock syndrome -kawasaki disease -meningitis -stevens-johnson syndrome -rocky mountain spotted fever disease the list goes on and on. The best thing to do is to call your child's doctor. They may want to take a look to see what it may be. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Robert Jackson
42 years experience Dermatology
Please: Please see your dermatologist for evaluation and to discuss treatment options.
Answered on Mar 31, 2013