A male asked:

Why is laser and ultrasound used during tumescent liposuction? i want to know more about a procedure to remove fat from my waist. do lasers and ultrasound equipment help remove fat, or are there other reasons doctors sometimes use them during tumescent li

Dr. Donald Nunn
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Laser : Laser and ultrasound is suppose to help to better break down the fat cells. It has not been shown to have clinically significant improvement over standard liposuction and has been shown to cause more problems. I only use it in selected cases. Donald r. Nunn md atlanta plastic surgeon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Plastic Surgery 21 years experience
Some benefits: Tumescent liposuction is usually sufficient to obtain great results. The use of laser (smartlipo) can help to decrease the amount of bruising and improve skin contracture. Ultrasound or vaser is very helpful in fibrous areas like the back or male breast or if previous liposuction was performed.
Dr. George Pope
41 years experience
Tumescent Lipo works: A number of new ways to do liposuction have come out over the years, but imo nothing is better than tumescent liposuction. Lasers generate heat, as does ultrasound, and not all of the heated, melted fat comes out. You can develop prolonged hardness of the remaining fat if the laser or ultrasound energy is applied too long. I think tumescent lipo is best.
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics 31 years experience
Surgeon's preference: Whatever liposuction technique that works best in your surgeon's hands, will give you the best result. Tumescence is used for almost all techniques to minimize the blood loss. Any technique will be good for fat around the waste.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016