Swelling in legs and ankles i have seen drs here and went to physical thereapy, had a lift put in my shoe, and wear the support socks and my legs from the knee down swell. they put me on water pills and that did no good. now when i walk i feel pain from

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 31 years experience
Swelling : Swelling in the legs can be caused by several different things. If one leg becomes swollen suddenly, a blood clot must be considered. It sounds like your swelling is in both legs so that is less likely. Some medications can cause swelling in the legs, so ask your doctor to review your medications for side effects. If your circulatory system is having a problem, it can result in leg swelling, so it is important that your heart be evaluted. Some patients who don't get enough protein in their diet can get leg swelling, a blood test can diagnose this. If patients have kidney or liver disease they can get leg swelling; this is determined by blood testing also. It sounds like you are having significant pain and persistent swelling so please have this swelling re-evaluated medically.
Dr. Joseph Hogan
Podiatry 46 years experience
Evaluation: Further evaluation of venous structures of the legs.
Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Phlebology 30 years experience
Venous ultrasound: Yes, there are many causes of leg swelling. A venous ultrasound of the legs done by a vein specialist can rule out vein disease and then you can move on. Heaviness, swelling, restless legs etc can result from venous reflux, backward flow of blood backwards down the legs with prolonged standing and sitting due to inherited valve disorder. Can be treated in office procedures. www.phlebology.org.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016