what is cardiac catheterization used for? i dont really understand what my doctor told me, so im not sure why im having a cardiac catheterization, except its something with my heart. i tried looking up online, but it talks about angiography and angiop

Dr. Peter Banitt
Cardiology 32 years experience
A : A cardiac catheterization is a procedure where a doctor inserts a long, thin, flexible tube or catheter into the body up to the heart. This is performed through either a blood vessel in the groin or through the wrist. With this catheter, your doctor can measure the pressures in your heart and measure how much blood is being pumped by your heart. Your doctor can also take a picture of the arteries or small blood vessel flowing to the heart muscle to determine if there are any blockages or narrowings. Performing this procedures is called a cardiac catheterization (cardiac = heart, catheterization = placing a catheter in the body.) taking pictures of the arteries of the heart is called an angiogram (angio = blood vessel, gram = picture) if there is a blocked artery, your doctor might recommend opening the narrowing with a small balloon-tipped catheter and then placing a stent. A stent is a small flexible metal tube that is implanted inside the blood vessel to help hold it open. Opening an artery with a balloon catheter is called an angioplasty (angio = blood vessel, plasty = reshaping or repair) these procedures are generally safe for most patients and can have many health benefits such as relieving symptoms of chest pains. However, these procedures, like any medical procedure, can have risks and complications and it is very important to discuss this procedure fully with your doctor before consenting to this or any procedure.
Dr. Ehsan Ansari
Cardiology 30 years experience
Heart vessels: Coronary angiography is to inject IV dye in the heart vessels to see if someone has a blocked artery. Angioplasty is the procedure to open the blockage with a balloon and stent. Your doctor wants to make sure you do not have clogged arteries.

Last updated Sep 27, 2020