Does a normal echocardiogram mean my heart is fine? ? ive been having chest pains. theyre not bad, but my doctor sent me for an echocardiogram. it was normal. does that mean the pain was not from my heart?

Dr. Eugene Yang
Cardiology 24 years experience
If : If you had a stress echocardiogram and the rest was normal, it indicates that the likelihood that you have any significant blockages of your arteries is low. In addition, it provides prognostic information that your risk of a heart attack in the near future is low. If the test was merely to look at the structure of your heart, it only tells you that your heart is pumping normally and that your heart valves are working properly.
Dr. Mark Gujer md fasa
Anesthesiology 26 years experience
Maybe: The echo can only tell you that your heart function looks normal. It cannot however tell you if you have diseased coronary vessels unless your echo was a stress echo.

Last updated Nov 25, 2017