U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

Mitral regurgitation 396.3 mitral valve prolapse, history of v 12.50 what are some of the treatments for this condition and any information you can share. thank you. joy age 60, female

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alec Moorman
Cardiology 22 years experience
Hello : Hello joy. Mitral valve prolapse is a condition where the mitral valve is a bit more floppy than usual and so does not form a perfect seal to prevent backward leaking of blood (mitral regugitation) from the ventricle into the atrium. If only mild, you do not need any treatment at all. The condition should be followed over time with annual visits to your doctor and periodic echocardiograms (heart ultrasound). If the condition worsens to the point of moderate or severe regurgitation, you may develop symptoms such as shortness of breath with exertion or fatigue. In that case, you may end up requiring a procedure to repair the valve. Repair is usually done surgically, but there are new techniques being developed to allow for minimally invasive repair via catheters.
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Thoracic Surgery 40 years experience
Repair: Mitral valve repair when possible, can cure regurgitation and results in the best long term survival by preventing long term complications, preserving heart and lung function and preventing thromboembolic cerebral strokes or arterial emboli . Check out www.Mitralvalverepair.Org go see dr. David h. Adams at mt. Sinai in ny.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jul 10, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.