A member asked:

Slight pain under kneecap lately i have had slight pain under my kneecap when knee is flexed. i also feel a creaky noise. i am 41 and sit a lot at work but am of normal weight. i don't do anything like running that should be causing this. what can i do

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Rajeev Pandarinath answered

Specializes in Sports Medicine

Usually slight pain underneath the kneecap can be alleviated with a strengthening program for the knee. Search for "patellofemoral exercises" on the internet and you will find numerous informational sources that include exercises for this program. If you do these exercises a few times/week, your pain will likely get better.

Answered Oct 3, 2016


Dr. Michael Patney answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

The cartilage under your kneecap may be softening from age, wear or other reasons. This is usually treated with physical therapy to strengthen the quadriceps and stretch the hamstrings. Taping sometimes helps in the short term as can patella cutout splints. Otc meds like Motrin also help but don't cure it.

Answered Sep 25, 2016



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor