U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old male asked:

My knees have been hurting from my past cc running. pain is above the patella and they continue to hurt when i try to stand up, squat, or kneel down?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Christopher Dougherty
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
Knee pain: Pain at the top of the patella where your quadriceps inserts is quadriceps tendonitis. Eccentric strengthening of the quads as well as core strengthening can help. Nsaids can also help reduce the pain. Vitamin d deficiency can be associated with tendonitis. If your pain is disrupting your daily activities i would see a sports medicine specialist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Mcgarry
Orthopedic Surgery 21 years experience
Quadriceps tendoniti: It sounds as if you may have a quad tendonitis. It could also be a patella-femoral syndrome which is common in runners. Initial treatment is rest, nsaid, stretching and probably some physical therapy in an effort to expedite recovery and return to running.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 7, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.