can i put drops of rubbing alcohol into my ears to cure an earache?

Dr. Dennis Diaz
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 38 years experience
No: Without knowing if the ear drum is intact or not, i would not recommend placing alcohol drops in the ear blindly. Most often we use use alcohol as a drying agent in the maintenance treatment of swimmer's ears and not as an acute treatment.
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
Only for outer infxn: Alcohol in the ear could only work in the case of a bacterial infection of the outer ear canal (swimmers ear). Not all ear aches have to do with the ear, however, and if it doesn't help you should see your primary care doctor or an ent.
Dr. Marsha Davis
Probably not: The alcohol will dry the water from the ear preventing infection but probably not cure much.