my friends uncle had throat cancer (tumor) spread to lungs and blood according to doctors and say survival is impossible, what options does he have?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Reza Shirazi
19 years experience Radiation Oncology
Chemotherapy: Mainstay of treatment for tumor that is metastatic is chemotherapy. Local treatments like surgery, radio surgery or radiation can do just that local control. So i would say chemotherapy + a local control if disease is limited. Hospice and palliative care can be of great help if patient can not tolerate aggressive treatment and disease is advanced.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Dr. John Manzella
46 years experience Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
End of Life: Cancer that has spread to multiple organs with distant metastasis is regrettably, an extremely poor prognosis. The best option is to ask your doctor to enlist the services of hospice. The inter disciplinary team will not only attend to his physical needs for comfort through a doctor and nurse, but also address his nutrition and spiritual needs as well. My prayers are with you for peace.
Answered on Sep 8, 2013
2