Chicago, IL

I had an incisional hernia repair july 2011 on the left side over a year ago i feel a terrible burning sensation on my left side of the belly button ?

Dr. Barry Rosen
General Surgery 35 years experience
C Ur Surgeon First: Burning pain is typical of nerve irritation which is not uncommon following hernia repair. While this usually resolves within 6 months, it's persistence warrants intervention. I recommend that you see your surgeon just to be certain that no recurrence exists. If not, it would be appropriate to see a chronic pain specialist. They can identify the responsible nerve and deaden it.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Rafael Lugo
General Surgery 29 years experience
Recurrence?: I would recommend to go see the same surgeon and see if the hernia is back. Sometimes it is just a pull of the scar tissue and nothing more that will heal with time and anti inflammatory agents, but it should be examined.
Last updated Jun 6, 2017