U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old male asked:

After my gallbladder removal my bile duct has stricture.an ercp has performed but it remains. what should i do?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Eduardo Ibarguen-secchia
Pediatric Gastroenterology 40 years experience
Stent?: Usually to treat a stricture they may place a stent to keep it open. An ERCP alone is just diagnostic.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Tyler Berzin
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Strictures can occur after gallbladder surgery for several reasons, including subtle injury to the blood vessels which supply the bile ducts ('ischemic stricture'). An ERCP is certainly the correct first step- generally a plastic biliary stent should be placed during that procedure, which can help dilate the narrowing. A small balloon may also be introduced to dilate the stricture, and biopsy/cytology samples may also be taken. In my practice, I would then repeat the ERCP in 8 weeks to evaluate for improvement/resolution. Multiple dilation steps may be required to completely open up the stricture.
Nov 27, 2012
Last updated Nov 16, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.