Virginia Beach, VA

does having an ovarian cyst increase chances of cancer?

Dr. John Geisler
Gynecologic Oncology 27 years experience
Ovarian cyst: If an ovarian cyst is found after surgery to be benign it only negligibly increased.

Can an ovarian cyst be cancer?

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 28 years experience
Sometimes.: Some cysts, like serous cystadenomas are precursors of cancers. Any cyst the persists for more than 2-3 menstrual periods should be checked further, particularly those who have a history of ovarian cancer. Sometimes biopsy and ca-125 levels must be taken, while other times surgery is needed.

I'm just wondering, if you have symptoms of an ovarian cyst, does that mean it is a cancerous cyst?

Dr. Jane Van Dis
No: Most ovarian cysts are benign and you needn't worry. Most ovarian cysts are small and are only felt intermittantly as pain. At your age, the chances of cancer are very small unless you have a strong family history of ovarian and/or breast cancer. Ultrasound are good at detecting the type of cyst you have, so ask your doctor for one if you're worried.

Can an ovarian cyst dissolve and be cancerous?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
I do not understand: I do not understand what you mean from a cyst getting dissoved!. Yes the cyst can have cancer in it if it is big enough and is multilocular, with internal growth. A ct scan or ultrasound of the ovaries can help to make adistinction between benign versus maligmant ovarian cysts.

Last updated Dec 20, 2012