Ormond Beach, FL

I seize, grand & petite mal & even pseudo sometimes. i badly need my wisdom teeth out, but am scared my anxiety will cause me to seize. what can i do?

Neurology 53 years experience
Mixed sz disorder: Agree with your concerns, and best to get better control prior to a surgical procedure. First, you might want to see an epilepsy specialist and get your medication re-arranged. Prior to the procedure, meds can be given intravenously, for added protection. Might consider an inpatient setting for the wisdom teeth extraction, and perhaps have an oral surgeon work with a neurologist.
Dr. Ragan Faler
Dentistry 25 years experience
Anxiolytics : Sedatives such as valium, versed are all used as emergency meds to break seizures. They are also the same sedatives used to sedate patients for wisdom teeth removal. Therefore limiting risks if youve had recent seizures and your med doses are at proper levels, consider using an oral surgeon who will do your case in a hospital setting. Make sure you take your meds and consider preop anxiolytic meds.
Dr. Jorge Arce
26 years experience
IV Sedation: Intra-venous sedation is an anesthesia technique that an oral surgeon will use to help you to go through the surgical extraction of your wisdom teeth. Your individual case needs to be evaluated and a medical clearance from your neurologist might be required in order to control & prevent any seizures days prior to the procedure, and even right before the surgery.
Dr. David Mergerian
33 years experience
Be sedated: If you are sedated you will not be anxious and valium may be helpful as it is often the treatment for a seizure.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016