Dental xray on just one tooth needed but they want whole mouth. why?

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Daniel Sampson answered

Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

To evaluate: Your overall dental health. If you haven't had a full mouth set of x-rays in at least 5 years, it is a good idea to get them.

Answered 11/2/2012

5.5k views

Dr. James Wright answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Sounds thorough: Sounds like a thorough dentist. It is in your best interest to know everything that is going on in your mouth, even if your immediate focus in one tooth which is causing you pain or problems. This can help you to prevent future tooth pain and problems. It is a good sign from my perspective that the doctor you selected is interested in your entire mouth.

Answered 11/2/2012

5.5k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Survey: When there is one problem, there are often many problems. Dentist needs x-rays to see between teeth and to evaluate bone support. If you have not had fmxr in awhile, you probably need a new series. Better to identify and treat small problems than let the problems get extensive and expensive.

Answered 9/13/2013

4.9k views