Wisdom tooth! help refused for 2 years. teen is very uncooperative, and i'm so so so scared he will need major oral surgery?

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. James Wright answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Concerned: If your teenager is uncooperative you must speak with him/her or find a respected friend that they will listen too. Any wisdom tooth extraction is major. People underplay this but the surgeon removing the tooth has a difficult job. Usually things turn out very well. I would consult with a recommended oral surgeon who may want to use sedation which will help your teen's anxiety. Hope this helps.

Answered 11/2/2012

5.5k views

Dr. Daniel Quon answered

Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

See your dentist: Your son needs to have an evaluation by a dentist to determine what the problem is and if a referral to a specialist is indicated. If it is a wisdom tooth problem, he can be referred to an oral surgeon who can discuss treatment options to manage your son's wisdom tooth problem and his uncooperative behavior.

Answered 11/1/2012

5.5k views

Dr. Leonard Pizzolatto answered

Specializes in General Practice

Many unknowns here: How old is the person that has the problem? This may not be a wisdom tooth problem unless of course this condition has been diagnosed as such. Yes, this condition can become very serious, but it is rarely life-threatening. However, i would keep urging this person to seek the help of a dental professional. That being said, if the pain gets serious enough, i think he will seek help on his own.

Answered 1/5/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Scott Frank answered

Specializes in Immediate Implant Placement

Get evaluation: While not everyone needs to have wisdom teeth removed, the procedure is much less complicated and the risk of complications less when removed in the teen years. I suggest finding a compassionate oral surgeonin your area for an evaluation. The surgeon can asure your teeth of the benefits if needed.

Answered 12/7/2012

5.4k views