A 31-year-old member asked:
is it dangerous to swallow fluoride at the dentist?
3 doctor answers
Dr. Robert Chin answered
41 years experience Dentistry
Unlikely: It is unlikely that you will swallow enough flouride during a dental treatment to be dangerous. Your dentist will rinse and suction out most of the Fluoride used in any topical treatment. The concentration in any rinses is not high enough to harm you even if it were swallowed by accident.
Answered on Jul 10, 2017
Dr. Dale Rottman answered
43 years experience Dentistry
Not dangerous: Swallowing Fluoride at the dental office is not dangerous however it can make you very nausiated temporarly and may cause vomitting.
Answered on Jan 11, 2018
Dr. R Thomas answered
31 years experience Dentistry
Fluoride ingestion : Small amounts of Fluoride swallowed by accident in the process of Fluoride application to your teeth is of little consequence, though it could irritate your stomach and even cause some nausea. It is best to attempt to not swallow any of it other than the little that is, of course left on your teeth upon application.
Answered on Oct 11, 2017
90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:
People also searched for:
Connect by text or video with a U.S. board-certified doctor now — wait time is less than 1 minute!