Will a pelvic exam hurt if i'm a virgin?

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Gynecology 44 years experience
Not usually: The first pelvic exam is usually more scary than painful. If you have used a tampon, it should feel no more painful than that. If not, it may be a strange sensation to have any touching in that area, but concentrating on letting your muscles go loose and letting your legs fall apart is helpful. Your doctor will help explain what to expect to avoid any surprises.
Dr. Audrey Lance
Gynecology 15 years experience
Possibly: Pelvic exams are uncomfortable for almost everybody. Whether or not an individual has actual pain is very dependent on the patient, however most women will describe the exam as feeling very uncomfortable, feeling pressure, maybe a feeling like they have to go to the bathroom. That being said, pelvic exams are important four your routine health maintenance, so it's a good idea to do it!