What is meant by chondromalacia patella pain syndrome?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 51 years experience
Pain originate from: Patellofemoral pain syndrome is the term given to pain originating from the patellofemoral joint (i.e. The joint between the knee cap (patella) and thigh bone (femur). Patellofemoral pain syndrome is usually associated with inflammation or damage to structures of the patellofemoral joint.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Orthopedic Surgery 27 years experience
Very common prob: Chondromalacia patella (runners knee) is due to overload of the patellofemoral joint (knee cap against the end of the thigh bone). Running causes high forces in this portion of the joint. So does arising from a chair, going up/down stairs. Treatment consists of activity modification, ice, anti-inflammatory meds and therapy aimed at flexibility and strengthening, especially of your core.