A 43-year-old male asked:

I've chondromalacia patella and have been strengthening my vmos to resolve my patellofemoral pain syndrome. how long before the chondromalacia is gone?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery 35 years experience
Difficult to say: Your pain may improve w/ time, exercises , wt loss etc. But it's difficult to say if your pain or your chrondromalacia will go away completely.The natural course of"kneecap pain" is difficult to predict . It depends on your anatomy and how severe your chondromalacia is .'grade 3' or worse is unlikely to resolve. An MRI can help determine how 'worn' your patellar cartilage is. See your ors. Gl!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Orthopedic Surgery 27 years experience
Months: Can take several months. Need to add a core strengthening program and stretching too. If its not responding by then, go see your orthopedist (again?).
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 43-year-old member asked:
What is meant by chondromalacia patella pain syndrome?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
What are the treatments for chondromalacia patella?
5 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
Can you rehab a chondromalacia patella with a patellar cyst?
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old member asked:
What kind of treatments are available for chondromalacia patella?
3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Last updated May 20, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.