I have breast cancer tumor. went from 3cm to 5 cm after biopsy but stable since. if outer part is liquid, can it be drained by needle prior to surgery?

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Barry Rosen answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Drainage unnecessary: The size of the tumor does not include any bleeding from the biopsy. Therefore, if it was 3 cm before the biopsy (&the biopsy was recent), the tumor is still 3cm. You need not worry about this fluid and may proceed with your definitive surgery. I hope all goes well.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Michael Zadeh answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Breast Cancer: The cause of the increase in your tumor size so soon after biopsy is likely related to some bleeding after the biopsy which caused a hematoma. However, it is important that you meet with your surgeon to be reevaluated as you may be a candidate for neoadjuvant chemotherapy.

Answered 10/22/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Michael Gabor answered

Specializes in Diagnostic Radiology

The tumor: didnt increase in size right after the biopsy, the apparent size increase was likely due to bleeding. It is unnecessary to treat this prior to surgery.

Answered 8/4/2014

3.8k views