Is homeopathic is best for apendicities?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
A surgical disease: Acute appendicitis is an infection of the appendix and timely treatment with appropriate antibiotic may avoid urgent surgery, but otherwise it is considered a surgical disease--meaning you need surgery to correct it. I am not aware of any effective homeopathic remedy for this condition. If this is something you have now, please consult doc asap before complication kicks in. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Garner
Cardiology 17 years experience
No: Homeopathy is not the best treatment for anything. Ever. Unless that thing only needed a placebo in the first place. Please see the excellent wikipedia entry for "homeopathy" for a thorough and balanced evaluation of the claims of this practice.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Actually, there are homeopathic remedies that can help -- such as Bryonia. Depending on the symptoms, I might give it while the patient is on the way to the ER. Seriously. Most surgeons might prefer to operate on someone whose appendix has not yet ruptured, no?
Oct 19, 2012
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen commented
Provided original answer
Bryonia is an herbal supplment made from the roots of White Bryony (AKA wild hops) and may help with some anxiety symptoms and possibly pain, but it is not known to have significant antibacterial effect. Yes, surgeons would prefer operating appendix that has not been ruptured. They generally don't want patient to eat/drink anything for at least several hours before surgery.
Oct 19, 2012
Dr. Pamela Pappas
I was referring to the HOMEOPATHIC remedy Bryonia, not the tincture. These are very different medicines, and do not produce the same results. Homeopathic remedies are not "antibacterial" -- instead, they stimulate the patient's healing system. One would have to carefully review the patient's exact symptom picture to know if this would be effective, though. It's not a "this for that" prescription.
Nov 4, 2012