I'm on benicar (olmesartan) 20 mg for hbp. my last blood test for potassium. it was 4.6. what are the chances the benicar (olmesartan) increases it to dangerous levels?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Victoria Wang answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Very little danger.: Benicar (olmesartan) is a very good hypertension medication and it should not affect your potassium level. You do not need to worry if you are on plain benicar (olmesartan). But if you are on a diuretic with it like benicar (olmesartan)/hct then the diuretic will cause your potassium to be low and you will need to have your potassium levels checked regularly.

Answered 6/24/2014

5.6k views

Benicar (olmesartan) and K: First of all, if you are 18 years old on BP medication, there may be else going on. You are too young for essential hypertension and need to be referred to a nephrologist to see if you have secondary hypertension. You need to be evaluated for a coarctation of the aorta, conn's syndrome, renal artery stenosis and a pheochromocytoma. You potassium of 4.6 is not a problem, your hypertension at 18 is.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.1k views